Monday, November 21, 2011

Somber's Simply Rarity

Today we have an in-depth character study of everyone's favorite fashionista, revealing a hidden past that has shaped her present.

[Tragedy] • 8,500 words
An argument between her friends has brought to question Rarity's generosity. Can a unicorn who's had everything and nothing truly be generous?

Hit the break for a few words from Somber himself and links to Simply Rarity on your favorite sites, and check out the Downloads page for copies in your preferred eBook format.




Where do you live?

Northern Nevada.

What kind of work do you do? (i.e. are you a student, do you have a career/day job, etc)

Unemployed English Teacher.

How did you discover My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? When did you realize you were a fan of the show?

In May 2011, my brother’s friends were joking about Bronies. I discovered all the episodes were on YouTube and watched the entire first season in one day.

Do you have a favorite episode? [Editor’s note: at the time of this interview, the most recent aired episode was The Cutie Pox.]

Winter Wrap Up.

Who is your favorite character based purely on the canon of the show itself? Would your answer change if you considered the fandom in its entirety (i.e. art, fanfiction, memes, etc)?

Twilight Sparkle is best pony. Always. I see a lot of myself in her.

I’ll always love what Rarity could have been... but ah well...

How did you come up with your handle/penname?

Life-long chronic depression.

Have you written in other capacities (other fandoms, professionally, etc)? When did you first start writing?

I’ve tried writing novels in the past but gave it up. Fanfic writing has been the first serious writing I’ve done in a while.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

RP, play Fallout, and look for work.

Who is your favorite author (published or fanfiction)? Do you have a favorite story or novel?

Kkatman. Hands down. She is amazing. Half of the reason I write what I do is for her approval. Ironically she won’t read Project Horizons 'til she’s done with her own fic.

Stephen King believes that every author has an "ideal reader" - the one person who they write for, the one person whose reactions they care about. Do you have one, and if so, who is it?

Kkatman. Hinds and Bronode, my editors for Project Horizons too.

Do you have any tips for aspiring writers, or writers who are struggling with their own stories?

Editors are gold. Any editor who will spend eight hours per chapter to make it better is wonderful. Take all the feedback you can.

What is your typical writing process? (Do you work through multiple drafts, do you have any prereaders/editors, etc?)

I think of an ending to the story. I then work backwards to figure out how to get there. Per chapter, I try and pick plot points that matter to the narrative. Once the chapter is done, my editors go through and actually make it worth reading.

What inspired you to write Simply Rarity?

At the time I hated Rarity’s canon. I really did. I didn’t see her as generous. I saw her as manipulative, snide, and a bit of a bully. I also didn’t understand her character. If she was an upper class socialite as her manner indicated then why design? If she was a lower class seamstress, why the pretension? So the story was born of trying to resolve this dichotomy.

Did you run into any tough spots or challenges when writing Simply Rarity?

Not really. I originally cut a lot out, but folks said they wanted it all so I put it back in.

When you set out to write Simply Rarity, did you have any specific messages or themes in mind?

She has everything... she loses everything... and she comes to respect just what it means to be without.

Where can readers drop you a line?

David13ushey@gmail.com.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?

I’m still amazed anypony likes my writing... but I’m glad they do.

No comments :

Post a Comment