Friday, August 17, 2012

Church's Who Makes the Wind Blow?

There's always something new to look forward to, waiting just around the corner.

[Slice-of-Life] • 3,500 words
I've always wanted a cloud... and now the day is finally here.

Hit the break for a chat with Church, and links to Who Makes the Wind Blow? out and about on the ponynet. Of course, you could always grab a copy of your own over at the Downloads page... um, if that's okay with you, that is.


Where do you live?

Iowa, U.S.A. That is truly all that needs to be said, don't ever visit here.

What kind of work do you do? (i.e. are you a student, do you have a career/day job, etc)

I will be a freshman this year at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa (that seemed rather redundant).

How did you discover My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? When did you realize you were a fan of the show?

Oddly enough, I was browsing the site funnyjunk.com (I hadn't visited the site in years. Don't know why I visited again) when I came across a few of the pony pictures posted in the comments (not to mention the amount of hate they were receiving). I thought it curious, and decided to check into it.

I watched one episode at first, and decided that it was (for a children's show) pretty good. I was hesitant to watch more. But I did watch more. And I liked it. Then I loved it. Then I hung around the community. Whaddaya know, it sucked me in, and now I write about magical pastel colored equines.

Do you have a favorite episode?

Tie between Bridle Gossip and Lesson Zero. The hoofrings Zecora wears changes legs so many times in Bridle Gossip I find it humorous. That, and I thought the episode was hilarious (did you hear Flutterguy's voice!?). Lesson Zero... I mean, watching Twilight Sparkle tweak out like that left me in stitches. I also, for whatever reason, constantly keep making excuses to say the phrase "I really like her mane!"

Who is your favorite character based purely on the canon of the show itself? Would your answer change if you considered the fandom in its entirety (i.e. art, fanfiction, memes, etc)?

Fluttershy. Nothing could possibly change my mind on that, no matter how many times an artist shows me the most adorable filly Rainbow Dash ever.

How did you come up with your handle/penname?

I am a fan of RvB (Church is one of the main characters). However, it mostly comes from my nickname my friend gave me in eighth grade, which was such.

Have you written in other capacities (other fandoms, professionally, etc)? When did you first start writing?

I first started writing when I began here on the site (with the exception of my terrible English papers in school through the years). I have doggedly been working to catch up to the greatness of some of the authors on the site since.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

I run, I play golf, tennis, guitar, piano. I do absurd things with friends... normal teenage stuff. If none of that, I usually find something to do. On most occasions, that something is usually wander around aimlessly.

Who is your favorite author (published or fanfiction)? Do you have a favorite story or novel?

bookplayer (fanfiction writer) is my favorite author, and really the first person to drop a friendly 'hello' to me on the site. I'd like to say we're friends, but she might tell you I'm insane for saying such. I wouldn't really blame her. I don't have a published one. My favorite novel is by far The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

Stephen King believes that every author has an "ideal reader" - the one person who they write for, the one person whose reactions they care about. Do you have one, and if so, who is it?

I'd like to imagine my ideal reader as being someone like myself. I don't write stories for everyone else (as selfish as that sounds). I write for myself, and I like to see the feedback from it.

Do you have any tips for aspiring writers, or writers who are struggling with their own stories?

Seeing as how I am a new writer myself, I suppose I can say one thing. To those of you struggling, take a walk. I've definitely had my fair share of staring at a blank sheet of paper wondering just what the heck I'm going to do with it. I've also made the mistake of trying to write something down after just staring at it like a mindless person who doesn't have a mind. Do something else. Take your mind off of it. Come back for it.

For aspiring writers, shoot for the frickin' moon.

What is your typical writing process? (Do you work through multiple drafts, do you have any prereaders/editors, etc?)

In my first few stories (including Who Makes the Wind Blow?), I would essentially just write everything down, read back through, and make corrections. This is probably not the best way to go about things (and yet, probably not the worst way). I now have an editor in a fellow by the name of Future for upcoming fics, thank Celestia.

What inspired you to write Who Makes the Wind Blow?

I can't really say. All of my stories pretty much stem from random thoughts in my head. (Or maybe I just really like clouds). I could have very well been looking at a street sign that had absolutely nothing to do with the story and have randomly come up with the idea. One could say the schemas in my brain connect at very odd points.

Did you run into any tough spots or challenges when writing Who Makes the Wind Blow?

Not really. This was one of those carefree sort of writings, so it really just sort of flowed right out onto the page.

When you set out to write Who Makes the Wind Blow?, did you have any specific messages or themes in mind?

When I set out? Oh gosh no. By the time it was finished though I realized the message was "take things as they come. One step at a time." ... I hadn't a clue the direction the story was going to take (in fact, originally, Fluttershy was the main character and there was no OC). I'm glad with how it turned out, however.

Where can readers drop you a line?

Well, obviously you can PM me. I'm quite the chatterbox. If not that, my email is churchnm08@gmail.com. Minimum of eight bits required per chatting session.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?

Well. A shout out to my Mom and Dad, 'cuz without their help, none of this would have...

Oh, this isn't that kind of thing?

Pardon me. What I meant to say was, thanks to anyone who reads my stuff. It does mean a lot. I truly am taking aim at becoming a better writer as I progress, so read and critique, enjoy, don't enjoy, whatever floats your boat. I'm always striving to better myself.

And again, as I believe it is worth mentioning again, there is no need to visit a place like Iowa.

No comments :

Post a Comment